Broccoli Trees in Haystacks from Oscar's Good-For-You-Greens
1 small broccoli crown, broken into florets
2 tablespoons water (I used frozen broccoli and so I skipped the water, defrosted the broccoli and cut the "trunks" off)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole grain cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar (I used 1/4 cup honey)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup low-fat milk
1/4 (1/2 stick) butter, melted (I used 1/4 cup melted coconut oil)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease 12 standard muffin cups or line with paper baking cups. Place the broccoli and water in a microwaveable dish. Cover and microwave on HIGH or 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. (I used a mini muffin pan because that was all that I had, and just ran warm water over the frozen broccoli until defrosted.)
- Mix together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. (I added the honey with the wet ingredients)
- Stir together the milk, eggs and butter in a medium bowl.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir until just moistened. Spoon 1 tablespoon of batter into each of the muffin cups.
- Place one piece of broccoli (a "tree) in each cup.
- Spoon additional batter into each cup, filling them about 3/4 full. Bake 15 minutes (10-13 for mini muffins) or until a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Remove to a wire rack. Serve warm.
"Munchkie are they good?"
"Yummy tummy! Yummy tuuummmmmy!"