Tuesday

Frozen Chocolate Covered Banana Coins

As I've already said I enjoy spending time in the kitchen, especially to relieve stress, frustration or a bad mood.  Yesterday I first make breakfast for the fam, then a batch of granola bars, popped some of these in the freezer, tried out a homemade playdough recipe (fail on that one), then cut up a ton of peppers (for my dinner at work and Munchkie daycare lunch).  I am trying very hard not to be stressed, but I'm just not doing very well with that.  I guess I'll just keep spending time in the kitchen for now and keep praying for peace.

I want to start off by saying that I cannot stand bananas.  I don't like to eat them, to have them in smoothies and will pick them out of a fruit salad.  However, I do like them in things like banana bread and frozen.  This is weird, I know.  When I was little my mom would make us these frozen banana snacks.  One was whole bananas dipped in chocolate, rolled in nuts and frozen while the other was sliced bananas and peanut butter in a graham cracker sandwich, again frozen.  A little while ago I decided to make these to both bring me back to my childhood and also have a chilled chocolate snack available so I wouldn't turn to something way less healthy.  I can pull a couple pieces out of the freezer, slowly eat them and have my cravings filled.  They are super easy and the active part only takes a few minutes.  I never really like dark chocolate, but the sweetness of the banana makes the dark chocolate much more tolerable, so I recommend trying out a darker chocolate than you think you would like, because the darker, the better for you.

Frozen Chocolate Covered Banana Coins

3 Bananas
3 large bars of dark chocolate
Almond butter (or any nut butter)
Almond pieces
Aluminum foil or wax paper
Freezer space

  1. First cut the banana lengthwise.
  2. Then cut the bananas into one inch "coins"
  3. Place a small dab of almond butter in between each piece of banana coin.
  4. Freeze these for at least an hour, preferably until firm.
  5. Take the chocolate bars and break up into small pieces.
  6. Once the bananas are frozen, melt the chocolate in a small pan.
  7. Dip the banana coins in the chocolate and place on aluminum foil.
  8. Drizzle the left over chocolate over the top of the bananas.
  9. Sprinkle the almond pieces over top.
  10. Drizzle more chocolate over the top of the almond pieces.
  11. Freeze until chocolate is firm.
  12. Break apart and store in a Ziploc or airtight container in the freezer.
  13. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment