Sunday

My least favorite holiday

I hate Valentine's Day.  Hate it.  Again, I hate it.  I always have.  I know that Munchkie's Daddy doesn't understand, but 22 years of being single and alone isn't completely negated with 7 years of being with someone.  My wonderful mom would always give me Valentine's care packages and send me fun things while I was single.  And even after I was with Munchkie's Daddy.  These cookies are what I think of when I think about Valentine's Day.  My mom would send them to me every year.

Ginger Valentine's Cookies

1 cup sugar
1 cup shortening
1 cup molasses (I actually didn't have any so I used 1/2 cup dark brown sugar and 1/2 cup maple syrup)
2 eggs
4 cups sifted flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ginger
2 teaspoons cinnamon
Raw (or coarse) sugar
Dove chocolates

  1. Cream together the sugar and shortening.
  2. Add molasses and unbeaten eggs.
  3. Mix well.
  4. Sift together the dry ingredients and stir in.
  5. Roll into 1 inch balls.
  6. Dip the balls in a bowl of raw sugar until coated.
  7. Place balls on greased cookie sheet about 3 inches apart.
  8. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
  9. When you take out of the oven press a chocolate into cookie while still warm.
  10. **Dough keeps indefinitely in the refrigerator**

And now I am going to bed because I am exhausted.

So young and naive,  if only we had an inkling of what our life would be like.

No comments:

Post a Comment