Sunday

Pas-sa

Now that I have an opinionated and decisive toddler on my hands the option to just put food in front of her is completely gone.  She has to have input in what she eats.  Then she has to help make it.  Lately when I say "Munchkie what do you want to eat?" her answers are "Pas-sa! Pas-sa!" (pasta) or "Rice! Rice!"  These are the two foods I can always count on her to eat, besides insane amounts of fruit.  However, by pas-sa she means that she wants Annie's Organic White Chedder and Shells out of a box.  When I try to give her pasta with red sauce, or anything else, she looks at me like "What in the world do you think this is? I asked for pasta."   Tomorrow I think my plan of attack is going to be a recipe I found a while ago.  Last year she ate cans and cans of organic pumpkin during the winter.  She looooved it.

I found this recipe during her pumpkin stage and she loved this as well.  It's called "Super Mac and Cheese" and to be honest I thought it sounded disgusting.  I made it for Munchkie and as with all of her food, just tried it to see what I was giving her.  And really, it wasn't that bad.  Here is the recipe.  I will be adding some broccoli to it tomorrow I think for a little added vegetable.
This isn't the Super Mac, but it's Munchkie enjoying some pasta about a year ago.  I couldn't pass it up because she's just so cute!

Thank you simplebites.net for the recipe.  
Click the link above for original blog post with recipe.
  • 1 box (8 oz.) whole wheat macaroni pasta
  • 2 Tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 2 Tablespoon All-Purpose Flour
  • 1 1/2 cups milk, warmed
  • ½ cup canned pumpkin*
  • 1 cup grated mild cheddar cheese
  • Pinch freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
Cook the pasta in large pot of boiling water according to package instructions, about 8-9 minutes. Drain and set aside in large bowl.
Begin making the cheese sauce by melting butter over medium-low heat in a saucepan.  Once completely melted, add the flour little by little and mix with a whisk to prevent lumps.  Cook flour and butter mixture for about 3 minutes, but do not let brown. Remove from heat and slowly add milk; mix with whisk until well combined. Return to medium-low heat and cook for about 5 minutes until the sauce is thick and coats the back of a spoon. Add nutmeg and pumpkin. Remove from heat and add grated cheese; stir until cheese is completely melted and sauce is smooth.
In a large bowl, pour cheese sauce over cooked pasta.  Mix sauce and pasta until well combined.  The mixture may appear a bit soupy but the pasta will absorb more of the cheese sauce as it sits. Once cooled, chop slightly in food processor for small babies or keep whole for toddlers.
*Can substitute pumpkin with puréed sweet potato or butternut squash.

No comments:

Post a Comment