I had signed up to bring a savory breakfast casserole and I wanted to bring something that was a little different (and gluten free) than the typical bread soaked in egg with meat and cheese. I looked at a few different kinds of breakfast casseroles and then decided to take a peak in my fridge and at the Lebanese store down the street. I have to say, I thought that it was delicious, and completely guilt free!
So to make this was kind of an all day thing. Not that I worked on it all day, but I did a little bit here, a little bit there. I chopped and washed the vegetables, set them out to drain and dry. Then went to pick Munchkie up and go to the store for a couple things that I couldn't find in our local stores. While Munchkie was napping I threw the veggies in the oven to roast while I cooked the bacon and lightly sauteed the swiss chard while whisking the eggs. Assembled it all, hopped in the shower and then let it bake in the oven while I got ready and played with Munchkie. Meanwhile, I had three other projects going in the kitchen as well, making a gallon of liquid soap (for hand soap and body wash), date paste (to use as a natural sweetener), and cinnamon struesel coffee creamer. It was a very productive day! I was also very excited to wear my new Whole Foods apron. The lady who does stories and snacks that Munchkie and I go to every week gave this apron to me saying that she knows how much I love Whole Foods. Munchkie very happily took my picture wearing the apron.
Very Veggie Breakfast Casserole (gluten free!)
20 oz shredded hash brown potatoes
Mixed vegetables (I had 2 small zucchinis, a huge red pepper and broccoli)
Small drizzle of olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
One bunch Swiss Chard
Small handful fresh parsley
1/2 red onion
12 oz bacon
1/2 cup light cream
salt and pepper
4 plum tomatoes
- Turn the oven to 425 degrees, chop the mixed vegetables, toss them in a small amount of olive oil and garlic powder and roast them in the oven for 15-20 minutes, mixing halfway through.
- Cut bacon and onions into small pieces. Start to cook the bacon in a skillet and once grease starts to form in the pan, add the red onion to saute in the bacon grease. Cook until the bacon is light brown. Pour out onto a plate with paper towel to absorb the grease.
- Cut the Swiss chard and parsley into small pieces, put in a medium heat pan, lightly cook until slightly wilted.
- Spray 9x13 pan with cooking spray, spread potatoes in bottom of pan to form a crust of sorts.
- Layer the mixed vegetables over the potatoes, then the Swiss chard/parsley and bacon/onion.
- Vigorously whisk together the eggs, light cream, salt and pepper. Pour eggs over layers.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes or until the center is solid when pan is jiggled.
- Slice the tomatoes and lay out on a plate covered with paper towel to drain the extra liquid off. Layer sliced tomatoes on top of the casserole and bake in 425 degree oven for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle goat cheese over top of tomatoes and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Slice and serve.