Saturday

Roasted Toasted

We have been getting a box of produce delivered to our back door (yes on the third floor) once a week and have been trying out all kinds of new vegetables.  I am just not that into veggies, I really want to be, but I'm just not.  However, I have found a way that actually makes me look forward to eating them.  Roasted.  I have learned, if you don't like 'em roast 'em.  And it's sooooo easy!

Turn your oven to 425, slice your veggies however you like, toss with a little bit of olive oil and whatever seasoning you like, lay out in a single layer on a cookie sheet and roast for 15-30 minutes.  If at 15 minutes they don't seem to be brown and crispy around the edges, keep putting them back in for a few more minutes until they do. That's it.. It's so flexible, you can use whatever seasoning you like.  And you can add cheese at the last few minutes.  We have been using Parmesan lately as our cheese of choice.

The options are really endless, some things that we have tried and loved are-
Broccoli a few dashes soy sauce (or liquid amino acids) and sesame seeds
Cauliflower and Parmesan cheese 
Root vegetable mix with rosemary and thyme
Broccoli with Parmesan cheese
Carrots and Parsnips with rosemary and garlic (from the NY times)
Zucchini boats with Parmesan and tomatoes

We had friends over this night of root vegetable medley, and I have to say that I think they were actually my favorite item on my plate.

Try them.  I think that you will be surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment