Tuesday

Stick IN Your Stomach Not ON Your Stomach

I have always loved oatmeal.  There are several foods that I could eat everyday of my life and never grow tired of, such as yogurt, french toast, oatmeal, ice cream, chocolate, berries, brie and an iced caramel macchiato.  At least oatmeal and berries are good for me!  I have been eating this now that it has warmed up out outside.  The thought of putting something hot into my already sticky from the humidity body, does not appeal to me, but I do love oatmeal.  So my options are to sit eating it with the A/C window unit blasting on me (great use of my resources) or try it another way.  This is what I have come up with.

1 cup water
1/2 cup quick oats
1/2 to 1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 packets Stevia (honey, sugar, brown sugar, agave, whatever you prefer)
1/8 cup milk
1/2 cup frozen mixed berries (or whatever frozen fruit you prefer)

  1. Bring the water to boiling- I use an electric kettle so if I forget about it, no big deal, it shuts off automatically.
  2. While the water is boiling, mix oats, cinnamon and Stevia (or your choice of sweetener) in the bowl you will be using to eat.
  3. Add the boiling water to the oat mixture and stir.
  4. Let this stand for a couple minutes until the mixture is thick and the oatmeal is cooked.
  5. Add the milk and stir until completely combined, this is just enough to make the oatmeal a little creamy.  
  6. Add the frozen berries and stir again, the berries will significantly bring the temperature of the oatmeal down.
  7. Once the berries are mixed in, enjoy.  The oatmeal is chilled, but not old gross oatmeal cold, and you get cold little bursts of berries while you're eating it.  It's perfect for a summer morning where the temperature is already too hot to handle.
I usually don't get to eat the entire bowl because there is a little face that instantly appears next to me and says "mmmm yummy oatmeal, I try it Mama?"

No comments:

Post a Comment